Do you ever have days where your goals feel unreachably far away? When thought-critters like “I can’t do it” or “I don’t have what it takes” crawl about your mind?
Confidence dips like these are natural. But that doesn’t mean they’re easy to get through.
One thing that can help is confidence quotes, when a wise person has crafted a phrase in just the right way it jostles loose some of your blocked confidence.
Confidence quotes have been shown to help with motivation1https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6224439/#B14 and empowerment. And in this post, we’ll go over 130 of them, organized by type.
What Are Confidence Quotes?
A confidence quote is a clever statement that inspires belief in yourself. When you are feeling a lack of confidence, the right quote can increase your self-confidence. This is typical because they are worded in just the right way where something in your mind clicks.
Why Do Confidence Quotes Work?
When you hear a confident quote, it can help train2https://www.fastcompany.com/3051432/why-inspirational-quotes-motivate-us your internal dialogue and reframe how you see your life situation.
In other words, confidence quotes can change your reality.
Some confidence quotes also work because your brain processes certain grammatical structures as being true. This might occur if a phrase rhymes (“Believe in your stride, and let confidence be your guide”) or is set up symmetrically (“If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse”).
Lastly, when these quotes come from authority figures3https://nature.berkeley.edu/ucce50/ag-labor/7article/article35.htm we respect (Like Gandhi or Oprah), we are more likely to believe them. And this isn’t a bad thing; it means that we let the quote impact us more deeply.
Now that we understand some of the workings behind confidence quotes let’s dive in! Browse around and see which ones speak to you.
In addition to building your confidence, if you’d like to develop your influence, you might enjoy this free goodie:
Become More Influential
Want to become an influential master? Learn these 5 laws to level up your skills.
Below are inspiring and empowering quotes that can help you believe in yourself and feel self-assured.
- “You are worthy. You are deserving. You are wonderful just as you are.” – Vanessa Van Edwards.
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Don’t wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect.” – Mark Victor Hansen
- “Confidence is a habit that can be developed by acting as if you already had the confidence you desire to have.” – Brian Tracy
- “Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” – Dr. Benjamin Spock
- “Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.” – Peter T. McIntyre
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “Low self-confidence isn’t a life sentence. Self-confidence can be learned, practiced, and mastered—just like any other skill.” – Barrie Davenport
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Confidence Quotes for Women
This section presents a collection of empowering quotes specifically curated to inspire and boost confidence in women.
- “The most effective way to do it is to do it.” – Amelia Earhart
- “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
- “I am my best work – a series of road maps, reports, recipes, doodles, and prayers from the front lines.” – Audre Lorde
- “Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for.” – Jennifer Lopez
- “You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is one of your biggest advantages.” – Michelle Obama
- “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman.” – Melinda Gates
- “A strong woman understands that gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.” – Nancy Rathburn
- “You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.” – Rosalynn Carter
- “We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: ‘You can have ambition, but not too much.’” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Confidence Quotes for Men
Below are quotes written to help men with their sense of empowerment and belief in themself.
- “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” – Thomas Paine.
- “Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.” – Dr. Alexis Carrel.
- Your life will never improve unless you start making daily improvements. Remember, no one has ever achieved anything truly great without going through extreme adversity. Embrace the challenge and move toward this adversity, making it part of your success story.” – Lewis Howes
- “A man cannot be comfortable without his approval.” – Mark Twain
- “He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions.” – J.F. Clarke
- “Courage is knowing what not to fear.” – Plato
- “If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the Universe.” – Joe Rogan.
- “Confidence comes from discipline and training.” – Robert Kiyosaki
- “A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.” – Veronica Roth
- “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn
If you’d like to go deeper and read a book on improving your confidence, you might enjoy this book list.
Below are several powerful and uplifting statements that aim to inspire, motivate, and encourage individuals to overcome challenges, pursue their dreams, and live a fulfilling life. Let these quotes serve as reminders of the potential for greatness within you.
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.” – Steve Jobs.
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis.
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort.
- “Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them.” – Jack Canfield.
- “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi.
- “As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
- “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius.
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” – Abraham Lincoln
Body Confidence Quotes
These quotes will help you find acceptance and love for your body and will help inspire a positive body image.
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh.
- “The human body is the best work of art.” – Jess C. Scott
- “Your body is a temple, but only if you treat it as one.” – Astrid Alauda
- “Your body is not an apology. Do not offer it as a gift only to wish for it back.” – Sonya Renee Taylor
- “Beauty shouldn’t be about changing yourself to achieve an ideal or be more socially acceptable. Real beauty, the interesting, truly pleasing kind, is about honoring the beauty within and without you. It’s about knowing that someone else’s definition of pretty has no hold over you.” – Golda Poretsky
- “Your body is an instrument, not an ornament.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
- “I don’t think that loving yourself is a choice. I think that it’s a decision that has to be made for survival; it was in my case. Loving myself was the result of answering two things: Do you want to live? Because this is who you will be for the rest of your life. Or are you just going to have a life of emptiness, self-hatred, and self-loathing? And I chose to live, so I had to accept myself.” – Lizzo
- “You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.” – Amy Bloom
- “Your body hears everything your mind says.” – Naomi Judd
- “In your own life, it’s important to know how spectacular you are.” – Steve Maraboli
Sassy Self-Confidence Quotes
Here are some quotes that will use humor and spunk to shake off your self-doubt and help you see your greatness.
- “Darling, I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.” – Taylor Swift
- “Don’t be like the rest of them, darling.” – Coco Chanel
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
- “She was a wild one, always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on.” – Kaitlin Foster
- “If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” – Frank Zappa
- “She remembered who she was, and the game changed.” – Lalah Deliah
- “Don’t be a lady, be a legend.” – Stevie Nicks
- “If you were born with the weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise.” – Rupi Kaur.
- “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” – Kurt Cobain.
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.” – Lucille Ball.
Positive Self-Confidence Quotes
Below are quotes that will help foster belief in yourself by using the power of positivity and seeing the good in yourself.
- “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne.
- “With realization of one’s own potential and self-confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.” – Dalai Lama.
- “Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing.” – Theodore Roosevelt.
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” – Oscar Wilde
- “It is confidence in our bodies, minds, and spirits that allows us to keep looking for new adventures.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “You are a function of what the whole universe is doing in the same way that a wave is a function of what the whole ocean is doing.” – Alan Watts
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
- “Don’t be too proud to take lessons. I’m not.” – Jack Nicklaus
- “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” – E.E. Cummings
- “While there’s life, there’s hope.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
Beauty Self-Confidence Quotes
Below are a handful of quotes to help you appreciate just how beautiful you are.
- “Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.” – Coco Chanel
- “People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing you are the beholder.” – Salma Hayek
- “The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express.” – Francis Bacon
- “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Confidence is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without confidence.” – Christian Dior
- “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.” – Edgar Allan Poe
- “Outer beauty attracts, but inner beauty captivates.” – Kate Angell
- “If you’re always battling against getting older, you’re always going to be unhappy because it’s going to happen anyhow.” – Mitch Albom.
- “Beauty is the illumination of your soul.” – John O’Donohue
- “True beauty is not related to what color your hair is or what color your eyes are. True beauty is about who you are as a human being, your principles, your moral compass.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Inner Strength Quotes
These quotes will help you come in touch with a fortitude within yourself that can help you overcome any obstacle in your path.
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong in the broken places.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” – Napoleon Hill
- “Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” – Drew Barrymore
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “People dwell so much on the little things, but why should they hold you back when you have the big things to look forward to? By exuding positive energy when dealing with your problems, you will exude it in your being in general. Treat yourself with love, and you will exude love to others.” – Hayley Hasselhoff
- “Inner strength is not only how you handle the adversity to come out unscratched, but it’s also about how you handle the situation after the storm has passed.” – M. Aboyeji
- “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain.” – Vivian Greene
- “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie
Confidence Quotes for Kids
These playful but empowering quotes will lift the spirit and confidence of children.
- “It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.” – Epictetus
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” – Dr. Seuss.
- “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
- “Life’s not a spectator sport. If watchin’ is all you’re gonna do, then you’re gonna watch your life go by without you.” – Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- “The things that make me different are the things that make me.” – Piglet, Winnie the Pooh
- “Every challenge you face today makes you stronger tomorrow. The challenge of life is intended to make you better, not bitter.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” – Paulo Coelho
- “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
- “You always pass failure on the way to success.” – Mickey Rooney
- “There’s no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.” – Mister Rogers
Confidence Booster Quotes
One other way to boost your strength is by bringing more confidence to how you speak. If you’d like to learn more, check out this article.
These quotes below will give you an immediate shot of confidence to help you see more of what is possible.
- “The only limit to your impact is your imagination and commitment.” – Tony Robbins.
- “Have confidence that if you have done a little thing well, you can do a bigger thing well too.” – David Storey.
- “The best way to gain self-confidence is to do what you are afraid to do.” – Swati Sharma.
- “To be a leader, you have to make people want to follow you, and nobody wants to follow someone who doesn’t know where he is going.” – Joe Namath.
- “Regardless of how you feel inside, always look like a winner. Even if you are behind, a sustained look of control and confidence can give you a mental edge that results in victory.” – Diane Arbus.
- “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” – Bruce Lee.
- “You are the only person on earth who can use your ability.” – Zig Ziglar.
- “Authenticity is everything! You have to wake up every day and look in the mirror, and you want to be proud of the person who’s looking back at you. And you can only do that if you’re being honest with yourself and being a person of high character. You have an opportunity every single day to write that story of your life.” – Aaron Rodgers.
- “What the mind can conceive and believe, and the heart desire, you can achieve.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “You are never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you’re never as bad as they say when you lose.” – Lou Holtz.
Funny Confidence Quotes
Below are a couple of confidence quotes that might give you a chuckle. Sometimes, when something makes you smile or laugh, it can sink deeper into your mind.
- “Some call it arrogant, I call it confident.” – Beyoncé
- “Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost, and you see a path. Then, by all means, follow that.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying.” – Woody Allen
- “Sorry I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.” – Harvey Specter
- “I don’t have delusions of grandeur; I have an actual recipe for it.” – Stephen Colbert
- “You’re nobody until somebody calls you bossy.” – Tina Fey
- “I used to have horrible cars that would always end up broken down on the highway. When I tried to flag someone down, nobody stopped. But if I pushed my own car, other drivers would get out and push with me. If you want help, help yourself – people like to see that.” – Chris Rock
- “You know you must be doing something right if old people like you.” – Dave Chapelle
- “Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.” – Rita Mae Brown
- “If it costs you your peace of mind, you’ve overpaid.” – Rigel J. Dawson
Bible Quotes About Confidence
Lastly, here are some quotes from the Bible that might inspire belief in yourself or a return to your faith.
- “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
- “But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength.” – 2 Timothy 4:17
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:13
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” – Psalm 27:1
- “So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?’” – Hebrews 13:6
- “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.” – Philippians 1:6
- “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your understanding.” – Proverbs 3:5
- “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that watereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.” – James 1:6
- “Do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.” – Hebrews 10:35
Frequently Asked Questions About Confidence Quotes
Confidence quotes are motivational statements that encourage self-belief and assurance. Sometimes, they include humor and wit. They inspire by resonating with individuals’ experiences and offering encouragement during challenging times.
Reading confidence quotes can reinforce positive ways you perceive yourself and challenge some of your negative thoughts. These great thoughts can remind you of your worth and that you don’t need others’ approval. This can help build a more optimistic and resilient mindset.
Famous personalities like Oprah Winfrey, Nelson Mandela, and Maya Angelou are known for sharing empowering confidence quotes. Their life experiences and wisdom provide valuable insights that help many others reconnect with their own fortitude.
Yes, confidence quotes can act as tools to combat self-doubt and the fear of failure. By reminding individuals of their capabilities and past successes, these quotes inspire continued effort and courage.
There are some promising studies of how confidence quotes affect people with chronic disorders. However, there aren’t enough studies to form a scientific consensus on confidence quotes. That said, there are studies on the benefits of positive affirmations and self-talk, and this suggests that confidence quotes would also influence mindset and motivation.
Readers can incorporate confidence quotes by setting them as daily reminders, placing them in visible areas, or including them in journals. Regularly reflecting on these quotes can bolster your optimism and remind you of your unique talents.
Takeaways on Confidence Quotes
Hopefully, some of those quotes gave you just the kick in the hiney that you needed to help you tap into your own confidence!
If you’d like to think about how to build confidence in a more methodical way, then you might enjoy this guide.
How to Deal with Difficult People at Work
Do you have a difficult boss? Colleague? Client? Learn how to transform your difficult relationship.
I’ll show you my science-based approach to building a strong, productive relationship with even the most difficult people.