How about good conversation starter topics? I have some awesome conversation starters that can help spark interesting, deep and memorable conversation with anyone you speak with:
These openers work great for beginning a conversation. They’re far more interesting than the standard “Where are you from?” type questions, and they are excellent conversation builders.
- Tell me about you.
- What’s your story?
- What personal passion project are you working on right now.
- Working on anything exciting lately?
- How do you know the host?
- Have you been to an event like this before?
- What was the highlight of your day today?
- What was the highlight of your week?
- What was the high-point and low-point of your day so far?
- Is this your busy season? Is this a busy time for you
Continue the Conversation:
If you feel a little awkward asking personal questions right out of the gate, use your environment and surroundings to create conversation. Comment on the food and drinks. Ask about the venue or location. You can also ask general interest questions, like their favorite sports team or YouTube video.
- What are you doing this weekend…what’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?
- What are your favorite restaurants around here?
- Keeping up with __sport__ recently?
- Can you recommend any unique cocktails here?
- All the food looks so good… I’m not sure what to get! What are you thinking? Or what have you tried?
- What a beautiful/cool/ugly/bizarre venue. Have you been here before?
- Did you see that viral ____ YouTube video? It was all over my social media today.
Be bold. Ask the deep stuff. As the majority of our new conversations hover on surface-level topics, it’s refreshing to talk about more meaningful areas of our lives. These may be a bit forward as your first questions, but if the conversation is progressing well, try one or two of these out.
- What’s your biggest fear?
- If you had to pick any character in a book, movie or TV show who is most similar to you, who would you choose? Why?
- What’s your biggest regret?
- When you were growing up what was your dream job? Is any part of that still true?
Event Specific Conversation Starters:
Is there an upcoming holiday or special event? Use these as a base for fun and light-hearted conversations, like “What’s the best fireworks display you’ve seen on the 4th of July?” or “I went to the coolest Irish bar last St. Patrick’s Day. Doing anything fun this year for it?” This is one of the easiest ways to start a fun conversation!
- Best Halloween costume you ever had?
- Best Halloween costume you’ve ever seen?
- Do you like haunted houses or scary rides?
- How does your family celebrate?
- Best Christmas memory you have ever had?
- What’s an ideal Christmas for you?
- How do you usually celebrate your birthday?
- What was the best birthday you ever had?
- What was the best birthday gift you ever had?
Any and all of these will work for you. Most people are so relieved to have you start and continue the conversation anyways! Remember to ask open ended questions—and avoid yes or no answers yourself. Also go for depth on interesting topics. Don’t be afraid to ask more questions and stick to one topic if it interests you. Most importantly: be interested and interesting.
Bonus: Funny Pick-Up Lines from Readers
These were a few pick-up lines submitted from readers I thought you might enjoy as a bonus:
- “Yo” –Jim Snell
- “How’s it hangin’?” –Vicki Combden Murphy
- “You are pretty cute for a short girl” –Jonathan Wichmann
- “Me?” –Rachel Wong
Learn the 3 Steps to Amazing Conversation
Make every conversation count. Discover our 3 step, science backed formula to mastering conversation without losing your authenticity.