Tinder has over 75 million active users1https://www.businessofapps.com/data/tinder-statistics/ and 10 million paying subscribers, far more than any other dating app that exists. That’s a lot of coffee dates and awkward “Hey, are you…?” moments.
So, how do you make your profile stand out in this digital meet-and-greet world? Here are some pro-Tinder tips to help get matches more than anything else!
Let’s dive in.
What is Tinder?
Tinder is a dating app that makes meeting new people as easy as swiping left or right on your phone.
Launched in 2012, Tinder swiftly became a frontrunner in online dating. It’s built around a simple but powerful idea: the “swipe.” When you open Tinder, you’re presented with profiles of other users. Each profile is a snapshot of who they are. It includes photos, a short bio, and sometimes linked Spotify tracks or Instagram photos.
Here are some more interesting Tinder statistics1https://www.businessofapps.com/data/tinder-statistics/:
- Tinder made $1.79 billion revenue in 2022, an 8% increase on the year prior
- 60% of Tinder’s users are under 35 years old
- Three quarters of Tinder’s users are male
The Best Tinder Tips For Successful Dates
The High Power Trick
In a groundbreaking experiment2http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/03/23/1508932113.abstract, researchers found that using one specific type of body language increased attractiveness and matches.
The Experiment: Three men and three women created two dating profiles on a popular dating app (all six participants were white and heterosexual). These participants had identical profiles, except the pictures in one profile were all high-power postures, while their twin countered with low-power poses.
Participants swiped yes on their ideal mate, totaling about 3,000 suitors in 48 hours.
“Profiles that feature expansive photos were 27 percent more likely to get a yes.”
The lead researcher said, “An expansive, open posture involves widespread limbs, a stretched torso and general enlargement of occupied space; expansiveness nearly doubles chances of getting a yes [to see each other again.].”
Want a quick recap? Avoid these body language (closed) cues in your photos:
- Contracted Body Posture
- Head down or bowed
- Shoulders rolled in
- Arms crossed or hands tucked inside pockets
Use these open cues:
- Head up high
- Shoulders rolled back
- Expansive Body Posture
- Arms to the side or taking up space
Next time you are on a hike or in front of a sunset, try the high power pose, post it on Tinder, and see what happens!
Understand The Tinder Algorithm
So, you’re browsing Tinder and swiping on every potential match. Good strategy? Hardly.
Enter The Tinder algorithm. The Tinder algorithm is like a matchmaker that watches what you do and who you like, then tries to set up profiles that fit your preferences. Now, let’s cut through the fluff and dive into what this means for your swiping strategy.
Understanding the Tinder Algorithm:
- Tinder’s algorithm relied heavily on the Elo score system, which was sort of like a ranking of your desirability based on how many people swiped right on you and the “quality” of those people. But, Tinder has moved away from this model.
- Now, the algorithm focuses more on your activity, preferences, and swipe patterns. Tinder tries to figure out your type based on who you consistently like or pass on.
- The more you use the app, the more the algorithm learns about your preferences. So, your swipes are teaching it what kind of profiles to show you in the future… And, if you swipe right on literally everyone, it means your standards might be pretty low (hello, bots!).
How to Game The Algorithm:
- Be Active: Regular use tells the algorithm you’re serious about finding a match. Inactive users get shown less over time.
- Swipe With Care: Your swiping habits are key. Constant right swipes tell the algorithm you’re not picky, which might lower the quality of matches.
- Update Your Profile: Keeping your profile fresh and updated is crucial. It engages potential matches and helps the algorithm understand your current status or changes in preferences.
- Engage with Matches: Conversing with your matches signals the algorithm about genuine interactions and can influence your future match quality.
By being active and thoughtful in your swiping and engaging with matches, you’re more likely to get the algorithm to work in your favor. Interested to learn more about the algorithm? Check out this in-depth article by Vox.
To Super Like or Not to Super Like?
A Super Like on Tinder is a feature that allows users to express an elevated level of interest in someone beyond a standard like or swipe right. When you Super Like someone, your profile is highlighted with a blue star on their screen, indicating that you’ve already liked them. This feature aims to make your profile stand out and signals a higher degree of interest, increasing the likelihood of a mutual match.
Here’s How to Use Super Likes Wisely:
- Timing is Everything: Since free users get one free Super Like a day, save your Super Like for peak times, like Sunday evening, when more users are active. It’s like playing your ace at just the right moment in the game.
- Selective Super Swiping: Be choosy about who you Super Like. It’s a powerful tool. Aim for profiles where you sense a real connection, ones that don’t look like bots (more on that later) and not just based on a superficial attraction.
- Follow-Up with a Strong Opening Message: If you get a match from a Super Like, your opening message should be as strong as your initial interest. Start with something that shows you’ve read their profile.
- Analyze Your Super Like Success Rate: Keep track of how many Super Likes turn into matches. Do you notice a pattern? This can help you understand what type of profiles respond best to your Super Likes and refine your strategy.
- Use It or Lose It: Remember, your free daily Super Like doesn’t roll over to the next day, so use it. Think of it as a daily opportunity to take a chance on someone special.
Sure, Super Likes can be like grabbing a Super Star in a Mario game. But approach the Super Like not as a guaranteed match but as an expression of real interest. It keeps the experience fun and pressure-free! And if you want to learn how to be liked, check out:
Be The Most Likable Person In The Room
Learn the skills we’ve taught 500k+ students to become more charismatic and successful — including:
- 💝 5 phrases that will make you instantly more likable
- 🤯 Our secret likability strategy for introverts
- 💬 The #1 trick to never running out of things to say
Add a Hook to Your Bio
You’d put a hook at the end of your bio to pique curiosity. After all, your goal is to enact engagement, right?
Here are five captivating hooks that can make your bio irresistible:
- The Intriguing Question: “I know the best spot in town for [favorite activity]. Can you guess where it is?” This not only shows your interest but also invites a fun guessing game.
- The Teaser: “Part-time adventurer, full-time [your job]. Ask me about the time I [exciting or humorous experience].” This offers a glimpse of your adventurous side and a story they’ll be dying to hear.
- The Challenge: “I’m a pro at [activity or hobby]. I bet you can’t beat me at it. Swipe right if you’re up for the challenge.” A playful challenge can be exciting for someone competitive or interested in your hobby.
- The Mysterious Fact: “I once had a dinner that changed my life. Swipe right, and maybe I’ll tell you what was on the menu.” This mystery can make someone curious about your life experiences and stories.
- The Personal Invitation: “I have a secret recipe for the best [type of food]. Swipe right if you want to be my taste tester.” Offering an exclusive, personal experience can be very appealing, especially if it involves a shared interest like food.
Of course, you can add practically any type of hook you want! I once saw someone with a funny hook saying, “Swipe right, and I’ll reveal the secret location of the best tacos in the city.” How could anyone turn that down!?
Speaking of funny hooks…
The Best Tinder Pickup Lines
If you’re scratching your head trying to craft that perfect icebreaker, fret not. Here are some of my favorite Tinder pickup lines that range from charming to witty:
- Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at your profile, everyone else disappears.
- Do you have a name, or can I call you mine?
- I must be a snowflake because I’ve fallen for you.
- Is this the Hogwarts Express? Because it feels like you and I are headed somewhere magical.
- Can I follow you where you go? Because my mom told me to follow my dreams.
- Are you Australian? Because when I look at you, I feel like I’m down under.
- Do you believe in love at first swipe?
- If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber!
- Do you have a map? I keep getting lost in your eyes.
- If we were at home, cuddling on a rainy Sunday morning, what would we have for breakfast? a) Pancakes b) Bacon and eggs c) Crèpes d) Acai bowl e) Something else?
- Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got “fine” written all over you.
- Do you have Wi-Fi? Because I’m feeling a connection.
- Are you a loan? Because you have my interest!
- Do you like Star Wars? Because Yoda one for me!
- I’m not a photographer, but I can picture us together.
- Do you have a Band-Aid? I just scraped my knee falling for you.
- If beauty were time, you’d be an eternity.
- I must be in a museum, because you truly are a work of art.
Use Humor to Spark a Conversation
Using humor is a great way to make a conversation flow better on Tinder. Sending a funny or witty line can be a great icebreaker and make both parties feel at ease.
- Wordplay on your name: One unorthodox way to display your humor is using a wordplay. For example, if your name is Jack, you can say, “I’m no Beanstalk, but I can show you some magic.” This unexpected approach can make your match laugh and catch their attention.
- Commenting on their profile details: Another way to use humor is by commenting on your match’s profile details in a funny and light-hearted way. If they have a picture with a dog, for example, you can say, “I’m a sucker for a wagging tail, and oh, your dog is cute too!”. It’s important to keep the tone light-hearted and not too personal or aggressive.
- Banter: Try a little bit of good-natured teasing. If their bio or pictures suggest that they might be interested in a certain activity or hobby, a light, teasing joke can let them know you have similar interests and a good sense of humor. But it’s super important to get this right. Witty banter can work, but it’s easy to take things overboard.
- Memes and Pop Culture: Another way to make your match laugh and catch their attention is to use references to memes or pop culture that they might be interested in. For example, if they have a picture with a coffee mug, you can say something like, “Is that a Harry Potter mug? You had me at wizardry.”
- Self-Deprecating Humor: Using Self-depreciating humor eases the tension and lets people know you are comfortable with themselves. However, be careful to stay moderate since it may signal low confidence, making your match feel awkward.
Whatever approach you take, remember that humor is subjective! It’s OK if you fail sometimes. If you’d like to learn how to be funnier, check out our guide: How to Be Funny: 7 Easy Steps to Improve Your Humor.
Ask Open-Ended Questions
One of the keys to getting a meaningful and engaging conversation going on Tinder is to ask your match open-ended questions. Open-ended questions allow your match to give detailed and thoughtful responses, rather than one-word answers that can lead to a dead-end in the conversation.
Examples of open-ended questions include:
- “What do you do for fun in your free time?”
- “Tell me about something that made you happy this week?”
- “What’s your favorite type of music?”
These questions give your match a chance to show off their interests and personality while encouraging a back-and-forth exchange (all while avoiding the dreaded one-word “yes” or “no” responses!). Want some more open-ended questions you can use? Check out How to Ask Open-Ended Questions That Spark Good Conversation.
Go From Online to IRL
Transitioning from Tinder chat to a real-life meet-up can be an art form. Here are 10 uniquely creative ways to bridge the gap from online banter to in-person chemistry:
- Foodie Photo Hunt: Propose a challenge to recreate each other’s favorite meal based on photos, then meet to compare results at a local food market.
- Bookstore Treasure Hunt: Suggest a meet-up at a bookstore where you each pick out a book for the other based on their profile, followed by coffee to discuss your choices.
- DIY Walking Tour: Plan a DIY walking tour of your town or city, each showing the other your favorite spots and hidden gems.
- Themed Date Based on Chat: If your chat revolved around a particular interest, like a love of the 80s, plan a retro-themed date, complete with an arcade visit or a vintage movie screening.
- Sunrise or Sunset Viewing: Invite them to watch the sunrise or sunset from a scenic spot, bringing along some snacks for a mini-picnic.
- Local Event or Festival: Find a local event or festival that aligns with your shared interests, be it a music festival, art show, or food fair.
- Dog Walking Date: If you both have dogs, suggest a dog-walking date at a nearby park.
- Photography Adventure: Go on a photography adventure around the city, capturing shots based on themes you decide on together, like urban landscapes or candid street life.
- Trivia Night Challenge: If you both enjoy a bit of competition, meet up at a local pub or café that hosts a trivia night.
- Outdoor Activity: For the more adventurous, suggest an outdoor activity like hiking, cycling, or even a kayaking session.
Want more cool ideas? We got you covered: 11 Science-Backed First Date Tips To Make Your Date Great
How to Spot a Bot
Oh, boy. Bots. These digital copycats are out there, and the last thing we want is you to get catfished or scammed. So, here’s a super helpful tip to spot and avoid these pesky bots.
The Bot-Spotting Guide:
- Instant Responses: If you’re getting messages faster than a human can type, raise an eyebrow. Bots often reply instantaneously, a feat most of us thumb-typing mortals can’t achieve.
- Profile Perfection: A bot’s profile often looks too good to be true. Think model-quality photos with very little personal information. It’s like finding a polished, shiny apple with no imperfections. Suspicious, right?
- Scripted Conversations: Bots typically run on scripts, so their conversation feels canned. Watch out for generic replies, repetitive phrases, or responses that don’t quite align with your messages.
- Link Sharing: Huge red flag! If they’re hurrying to get you to click on links (usually claiming to be their photos, webcam sites, or something similar), it’s a bot alert. These links can lead to scams or malware.
- Avoiding Meet-ups: Bots will dodge plans to meet in real life. They’ll have a buffet of excuses – traveling, busy, living in another dimension… you get the gist.
- Asking for Personal Info: If they’re more interested in your details or financial info than your favorite movie, it’s not cupid knocking; it’s a scam bot.
- Challenge with a Question: Throw them a curveball with a random or complex question. Bots get flustered (as flustered as a bot can get) and often give nonsensical answers.
- No Social Media Footprint: If they claim no other social media presence or their accounts look as fresh as paint, proceed cautiously.
- Trust Your Gut: If something feels off, it probably is. Trust your instincts.
- Report Suspicious Accounts: Help keep the digital dating world safer for everyone by reporting these profiles.
Remember, in the quest for love, keeping your wits about you is just as important as keeping your heart open. Stay alert, stay savvy, and let’s keep those bots at bay!
How to Handle Ghosting
Ghosting. It’s the modern-day dating equivalent of Houdini’s vanishing act, but way less entertaining and a tad more emotionally baffling.
Let’s dive in with some real talk and practical tips.
When You’re Tempted to Pull a Houdini:
- The Honest Check-In: Before ghosting, do a quick internal audit. Ask yourself, “Am I not feeling this, or am I just avoiding an awkward convo?” It’s time for a straightforward but kind exit if it’s the former.
- Crafting That Goodbye Message: Forget generic templates. Go for something more personal. “Hey [Name], I loved our chat about your hiking adventures. But, I need to be honest… I don’t feel that connection I’m looking for. Wishing you the best on your trail!”
- The Reminder Strategy: Life’s busy, and sometimes ghosting is unintentional. Set reminders to reply if you’re juggling a hectic schedule. A simple nudge can prevent someone else’s storyline of ghosting.
If You’re on the Receiving End of a Magic Act:
- The Post-Ghosting Self-Talk: Grab a journal. Write about what you enjoyed, what was funny, and what was intriguing. It’s a great way to refocus on the positives rather than the void of their absence.
- The “Moving On” Ritual: Got ghosted? Create a ritual to mark the end of that chapter. It could be as simple as archiving the chat. It’s your way of saying, “Okay, universe, what’s next?”
- The 48-Hour Rule: Give it 48 hours. If they haven’t responded, initiate your “Moving On” ritual. This is about giving closure to yourself, not waiting for it from someone else.
Dealing with the Ghostly Aftereffects:
- The Emotional Outlet: Journal your feelings post-ghosting. It’s like having a one-sided conversation where you get to say everything, no holds barred.
- The Friend Forum: Sometimes, you just need to vent and get a different perspective. Friends can be great sounding boards and reality checkers.
- Professional Insights: If ghosting is hitting hard, chatting with a therapist can provide solid strategies for handling rejection and building emotional resilience.
Ghosting isn’t just about not replying to a message. It’s about handling our interactions with empathy and respect, even tough ones. And if you’d like more tips on how to deal with ghosting, we’ve got you covered: Got Ghosted? Here’s What to Do…with Scripts.
Don’t Take It Personally.
Research3https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2020/02/06/the-virtues-and-downsides-of-online-dating/ indicates that online dating left significantly more people in the U.S. feeling frustrated than hopeful. Apps like Tinder can also amplify feelings of isolation and disappointment when interactions don’t meet expectations.
For instance, Dr. Elias Aboujaoude4https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/lifestyle/many-online-daters-arent-seeking-actual-dates-rcna94163 highlights a pattern where users seeking a temporary escape or validation through the app feel more disillusioned over time.
Not getting matches or feeling disconnected isn’t a reflection of your self-worth.
Remember, if dating apps are getting in the way of your mental health, it might be time to take a break or talk to a professional therapist.
18 Fun and Interesting Tinder Facts You (Probably) Didn’t Know
From green dots to global love searches, Tinder is a world with unique features and trends that keep evolving. Whether you’re a seasoned swiper or a Tinder newbie, these facts might give you an edge in the digital dating game.
- Global Connections: Tinder’s Passport feature5https://www.help.tinder.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004490423-Passport-#:~:text=What%20is%20Passport%E2%84%A2%3F,only%20available%20to%20Tinder%20subscribers., popularized during lockdowns, allows users to match with people worldwide, not just locally.
- Super Like Stats: Super Likes increase your chances of matching by three times.
- University Email Perks: Users with a university email can access Tinder U6https://www.help.tinder.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015516052-Tinder-U-, focusing on connections with other students.
- The Green Dot: Noticed a green dot on some matches? It signals that the person has been active on Tinder recently.
- Shadowbanned?: If you’re breaking the rules but aren’t banned, you might be shadowbanned, meaning your visibility is significantly reduced.
- Tinder Platinum: Launched in 2020, Tinder Platinum is a premium feature offering priority likes and message before match capabilities.
- More Than Swipes: Tinder also offers a “Swipe Night” feature7https://www.help.tinder.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034563391-What-is-Swipe-Night-, an interactive adventure where your choices impact who you match with.
- Tinder’s Reach: As of 2021, Tinder is available in over 190 countries and 40+ languages.
- The First Sunday Surge: The first Sunday of January is known as “Dating Sunday,” one of the busiest days for Tinder.
- Video Dates: Tinder added a video call feature, “Face to Face,” allowing users to have virtual dates.
- Music Connects: Tinder lets you connect your Spotify account to display your favorite songs and artists.
- The Most Popular Job: As per Tinder data, the most swiped-right job for men is a pilot, and for women, it’s a physical therapist.
- Swipe Surge: Tinder notifies users of a spike in Tinder activity in their area with “Swipe Surge” alerts.
- The LGBTQ+ Inclusive: Tinder offers multiple sexual orientation options, making it more inclusive for LGBTQ+ users.
- Profile Verification: To combat catfishing, Tinder has a photo verification feature for authenticity checks.
- More Than Hookups: The Guardian8https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/05/tinder-app-users-casual-sex-long-term-relationships revealed that 80% of users are on Tinder to find a meaningful relationship, not just hookups.
- The Emoji Language: The most used emoji9https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12323715/Tinder-reveals-emoji-used-singletons-dating-app-bios-know-mean.html on Tinder bios worldwide is the laughing emoji.
- Unbanning Secrets: It’s possible to unban yourself since Tinder ditched its ELO score system, which was once used to rank profiles.
Tinder vs. Bumble: A Comparison
Two apps often lead the conversation when diving into the digital dating scene: Tinder and Bumble. Each boasts unique features and approaches to finding matches online. Tinder, known for pioneering the swipe-right culture, offers a fast-paced and diverse platform for various relationships. Conversely, Bumble empowers women to initiate conversations, aiming to create a respectful and multifaceted environment for dating, friendships, and professional networking.
Here’s a breakdown of Tinder vs. Bumble:
|Anyone can initiate
|Dating, hookups, casual
|Dating, friendships, networking
|Very large and diverse
|Slightly smaller but more curated
|Basic, focuses on photos
|More detailed, including prompts
|Matches expire in 24 hours
|Large user base increases the chances of matching
|Empowers women with less unsolicited messages
|Over 190 countries
|Less widespread than Tinder
So which one wins? Choosing the right app depends on what you’re looking for in your online dating journey, but generally, Tinder can be viewed as more for casual dating, while Bumble is more for the serious relationship seeker.
Tinder Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, Tinder is free to download and use. It offers basic features like swiping, matching, and chatting at no cost. However, paid subscriptions like Tinder Plus, Gold, and Platinum provide additional features.
Tinder works by showing you profiles of other users based on your location. You swipe right to like or left to pass. If two users swipe right on each other, it’s a match, and they can start chatting.
To use Tinder:
Download the app and create an account.
Set up your profile with photos and a bio.
Adjust your settings for who you want to see.
Start swiping! Swipe right to like, left to pass.
If you match with someone, you can start chatting.
Tinder is intuitive and designed for ease of use, making it simple.
No, you cannot see who likes you on Tinder without a paid subscription. This feature is available through Tinder Gold, a premium service that shows you a list of people who have already swiped right on your profile.
Tinder’s ELO score used to be a secret ranking system determining whose profiles you would see and who would see yours. However, as of 2019, Tinder claims they no longer use this system and instead use a more complex algorithm to match profiles.
Yes, Tinder can be used for more than just dating. Many people use it to meet new friends or to find people to hang out with casually. There’s even a Tinder Social feature for those looking to expand their social circles.
The Big Tinder Takeaway
Remember, Tinder is not the be-all and end-all of your social or romantic life. Your worth, vibe, unique charm… none of that can be encapsulated in a swipe.
Use Tinder as a playground, a place to test the waters, have a laugh, and maybe, just maybe, stumble upon someone who gets your jokes. But if the matches don’t line up? No sweat. A digital algorithm doesn’t determine your value.
You’re a whole universe of awesome, with or without the swipe.
So, go ahead, swipe, match, chat, but through it all, keep this nugget of truth in your pocket: You’re way more than a profile on someone’s phone.
You’re the real deal, live and in 3D, and that is something no app can truly capture! For more awesome dating tips, read 160 Best Tinder Conversation Starters For Instant Responses.
How to Deal with Difficult People at Work
Do you have a difficult boss? Colleague? Client? Learn how to transform your difficult relationship.
I’ll show you my science-based approach to building a strong, productive relationship with even the most difficult people.